In this soup, pork is seasoned Chinese-style, with the traditional soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and just a hint of sesame oil.|
For a spicier broth, add 1 chopped hot red pepper or 1 teaspoon [5 mL] chili powder to the broth, along with pork strips.
Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
- 4 1/2 cups [1.125 L] chicken broth
- 2 large potatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] cornstarch
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] water
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] sesame oil
- 4 1/2 ounces [127.5 g] pork loin, into fine strips
- 1 carrot, into really fine strips
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] freshly finely chopped gingerroot
- 3 green onions, into thin slices
- 1 sweet green pepper, membranes removed and seeded, into fine strips
- 1 [8-ounce / 227-mL] can bamboo shoots, drained
- Into a casserole, bring together chicken broth, potato dices and 1 tablespoon [15 mL] of rice wine vinegar to a boil.
- Lower heat; leave to simmer slowly.
- Dilute cornstarch into water; mix into broth.
- Bring broth back to a boil, stirring until thickening; lower heat once more until simmering slowly.
- Into a bowl, mix together remaining rice wine vinegar, soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Add and well coat pork loin strips with mixture.
- Add pork loin strip mixture, carrot strips and finely chopped gingerroot to broth.
- Leave to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Then mix in thin green onion slices, fine sweet green pepper strips and drained bamboo shoots.
- Leave to simmer for 5 minutes more.
- Serve soup immediately, into hot individual bowls.