- 4 tablespoons [60 g] butter or margarine
- 4 onions, tinly sliced
- 2 full tablespoons [17.5 g] flour
- 2 [10-ounce / 284-mL each] cans consomme concentrate
- 1 [12-ounce / 355-mL] light beer
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] salt
- 1/4 tablespoon [1 mL] freshly ground pepper
- 6 toasted bread slices or large plain croutons
- Grated Mozzarella cheese, to taste
- Melt butter or margarine into a large casserole over low heat; stirring, lighlty brown onion slices.
- Sprinkle golden onion slices with flour; stirring, cook over low heat for a few minutes.
- Then stir in consomme concentrate and light beer; salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil stirring, then leave soup to simmer for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F [200°C].
- Evenly pour soup into 6 individual oven-safe soup bowls.
- Top each with a toast or a crouton.
- Generously sprinkle toasts or croutons with grated Mozzarella cheese.
- Brown into preheated oven for approximately 10 minutes, watching carefully after 5 minutes.