- 2 cups [500 mL] water [more if needed]
- 2 cups [500 mL] peeled red potato dices
- 3 tablespoons [45 g] butter or margarine
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons [26.25 g] all-purpose flour
- Red pepper, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups [750 mL] milk
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 g] sugar
- 1 cup [225 g] grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup [250 mL] small ham dices
- Into a large casserole, bring water to a boil.
- Boil potato dices into boiling water until tender.
- Drain potato dices also reserving cooking water; if needed, pour in more water, to get 1 cup [250 mL].
- Over medium heat, melt butter or margarine into the same casserole.
- Just melt, do not color, chopped onion into melted butter.
- Stir in flour; season mixture with red and freshly ground black peppers.
- Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Slowly add drained potato dices, reserved cooking water, milk and sugar to chopped onion mixture.
- Well mix.
- Then slowly, mix in grated Cheddar cheese and ham dices.
- Simmer over low heat without boiling for 30 minutes, stirring often.