- 2 tablespoons [30 g] butter
- 1/3 cup [80 mL] chopped green onion
- 6 cups [1.5 L] chicken broth
- 2/3 cup [160 mL] long grain white rice
- 4 eggs
- Juice of 1 lemon, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon [0.5 mL] freshly ground white pepper [optional]
- Over medium heat, melt butter into a 12-cup [3-L] casserole.
- Stirring, soften chopped green onion into melted butter, for approximately 3 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth and rice.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Lower heat and leave mixture to simmer, covered, over low heat for 20 to 25 minutes, until rice is tender.
- Into a small bowl, whip eggs until well beaten before beating in lemon juice and 1/2 cup [125 mL] hot chicken broth mixture.
- Then, stirring, slowly pour beaten eggs mixture into hot chicken broth mixture.
- Stirring, cook over low heat without boiling for 2 to 3 minutes, until broth is thick enough to coat to the back of a spoon.
- If desired, season soup with freshly ground white pepper before serving.