- 6 cups [1.5 L] chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups [375 mL] 2-inch [5-cm] long pieces string beans
- 1/2 Romaine lettuce head, sliced
- 1 1/4 cups 310 mL] frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup [250 mL] cleaned fresh mushroom slices
- 1/3 cup [80 mL] finely chopped parsley leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] pepper
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] dill seeds
1/4 cup [60 mL] freshly chopped dill
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Salt, to taste
- Into a large casserole, combine then together chicken or vegetable broth, celery slices, minced garlic, chopped onion and carrot slices to a boil.
- Cover, lower heat and leave to simmer slowly for 10 minutes.
- Add string bean pieces and simmer for approximately 5 minutes more, until vegetables are tender.
- Mix in sliced lettuce, thawed green peas and mushroom slices; cook for 3 to 5 minutes more, until tendre.
- Mix in finely chopped parsley leaves, pepper, dill sedds or freshly chopped dill, nutmeg and salt.
- Serve hot.