- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] Cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] all-purpose flour
- 7 cups [1,75 L] chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups [375 mL] red lentils, rinsed under cold water and well-drained
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 1/2 ounces [390 mL] evaporated skim milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Freshly chopped coriander, to garnish
- Over medium-high heat, heat olive oil into a large heavy casserole.
- Stirring, soften together chopped onions and garlic.
- Mix in ground cumin, paprika and Cayenne pepper.
- Cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Stir in flour until really wet before pouring in chicken broth.
- Mix in drained red lentils, tomato paste and bay leaf.
- Cover and bring to boil, stirring from time to time.
- Lower heat and leave to simmer slowly for 25 to 30 minutes, until lentils are tender.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Pour 1/2 of soup into a blender or a food processor.
- Puree until smooth; pour into casserole, into remaining soup mixture.
- Stir in evaporated milk; leave to simmer for 5 minutes, until hot.
- Salt, pepper and serve, each serving garnished with freshly chopped coriander.