- 17 1/2 ounces [500 g] Spanish onions
- 3 1/3 tablespoons [50 g] butter
- 3 cups [750 mL] chicken broth
- Salt, to taste
- 2 Indonasian long dried peppercorns, crushed into a mortar using pestle
- 1 [24-ounce / 750-mL] bottle Champagne
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] Port wine
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] Armagnac
- 6 small slices of bread
- 10 1/2 ounces [300 g] grated Gruyere cheese
- Peel then really thinly slice the onions using a mandoline.
- Into a large casserole, melt butter until foamy; slowly soften onions rings into melted butter until just golden.
- Pour in chicken broth.
- Lightly salt the onions before pouring in 2 cups [500 mL] of the Champagne.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and leave to cook over low heat for 1 hour.
- Remove from heat.
- Beat together egg yolks and Port wine; stirring, slowly pour into hot yet not boiling onion soup.
- Stir in Armagnac.
- Preheat oven broiler.
- Toast bread slices under preheated oven broiler until just golden; transfer one slice in the bottom of each of 6 oven-safe individual onion soup bowls.
- Sprinkle with a little of grated Gruyere cheese.
- Evenly pour in onion soup and wait until bread slices come to the top of each bowl.
- Evenly sprinkle each with remaining grated Gruyere cheese.
- Brown for a few minutes under preheated oven broiler, until golden, before serving.