- 5 cups [1.25 L] chicken broth
- 8 large French shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] tarragon
- 2 celery stalks with leaves, chopped
- 1 cup [250 mL] heavy cream
- 4 egg yolks
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped chives, to decorate
- Paprika, to sprinkle
- Pour chicken broth into a casserole; mix in French shallot slices, tarragon and chopped celery with leaves.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and leave to simmer over low heat for 45 minutes.
- Pour half of mixture into a blender; cover and puree until smooth before pouring into a clean casserole.
- Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Into a bowl, beat together cream and egg yolks before stirring into soup mixture.
- Reheat soup without boiling, stirring until egg yolks are done.
- Salt, pepper and serve soup really hot, sprinkled with chopped chives and paprika.