- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 3/4 cups [440 mL] chicken broth
- 1 [19-ounce / 540-mL] can stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup [250 mL] clam juice
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] basil
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] salt
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] fennel seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon [0.5 mL] black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon [0.5 mL] crushed chiles
- 1 cup [250 mL] water
- 2 tablespoons [30 g] unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup [35 g] flour
- 1 pound [454 g] cod, skinned, boned then cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 8 to 10 stoned ripe olives, sliced
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] freshly chopped parsley [optional]
- Into a large casserole, heat oil over medium-low heat.
- Soften chopped onions, stirring for approximately 3 minutes.
- Pour in chicken broth and mix in stewed tomatoes, clam juice, basil, salt, fennel seeds, black pepper, crushed chiles and water.
- Bring to a boil; lower heat, cover and leave to simmer for approximately 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt unsalted butter into a small frypan.
- Mix in flour until smooth.
- Cook over low heat, stirring often for approximately 5 minutes, until golden brown.
- Leave to cool slightly; mix approximately 1 cup [250 mL] of hot broth into flour mixture, whipping until smooth.
- Pour into casserole, into remaining broth.
- Bring to a boil, stirring.
- Mix in cod pieces, fresh lemon juice and ripe olive slices.
- Cook over low heat for 5 to 10 minutes, until fish can easily be broken-up with a fork.
- To serve, laddle soup into 4 individual soup bowls.
- Serve, garnished with freshly chopped parsley if desired.