- 3 tablespoons [45 mL] olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, membranes removed and seeded, chopped
- 8 oil-packed sundried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] dried basil, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] dried oregano, crumbled
- Approximately 6 [14 1/2-ounce / 421-mL] each cans beef broth concentrate
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] tomato paste
- 1 [28-ounce / 796-mL] can tomatoes, crushed
- 1 cup [250 mL] pearl barley
- 1 cup [250 mL] lentils
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] freshly chopped parsley [optional]
- Heat olive oil into a heavy 4-quart [4-L] saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped onions and garlic and saute until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add 3 carrot slices, chopped celery, red bell pepper and sundried tomatoes, and crumbled basil and oregano.
- Cook to just soften red bell pepper, stirring occasionally for approximately 6 minutes.
- Mix in 5 0f 6 cans beef broth concentrate, tomato paste and crushed tomatoes.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Stir in pearl barley and lentils.
- Lower heat; simmer mixture until barley and lentils are tender, stirring occasionally, for approximately 1 1/2 hours.
- Thin soup to desired consistency with remaining beef broth concentrate.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Ladle into soup bowls and serve, each serving garnished with freshly chopped parsley if desired.