- 4 pounds [1.8 kg] meaty beef bones
- 12 cups [3 L] water
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 g] margarine
- Black peppercorns, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450°F [230°C].
- Arrange meaty beef bones into a roasting pan.
- Brown beef bones into preheated oven, for approximately 20 to 25 minutes.
- Transfer bones into a large pot.
- Pour water into roasting pan; scrape bottom of pan to remove all drippings.
- Add onion pieces, chopped carrots and celery, bay leaf, garlic cloves, whole cloves, chopped parsley, thyme, margarine and black peppercorns.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and cover pot; leave to simmer slowly for 2 hours.
- Strain broth reserving meat for other uses.
- Chill broth, then remove hardened fat layer.
- Pour then freeze broth into ice cube trays until hard.
- Unmold and store beef broth concentrate cubes into a plastic bag with a zipper.
- Keep frozen until needed.