- 1 tablespoon [15 g] butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] Worcestershire sauce
- 12 ounces [375 mL] light beer
- 14 1/2 ounces [455 mL] chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons [45 mL] cold water
- 3 tablespoons [45 mL] cornstarch
- 2 cups [500 mL] half-and-half
- 2 cups [450 g] grated Old Cheddar cheese
- Into an 18-cup [4.5-L] casserole, melt butter or margarine.
- Well mix in chopped onion and Worcestershire sauce.
- Pour in beer then higher heat to high; leave to simmer for 3 minutes, for alcohol to evaporate.
- Then stir in chicken broth; bring back to a boil.
- Lower heat to medium-low and leave mixture to simmer slowly.
- Meanwhile, into a small bowl, well dilute cornstarch into cold water; set aside.
- Stir half-and-half and grated Old Cheddar cheese into hot mixture, until completely meltedd.
- Still stirring, mix in reserved diluted cornstarch.
- Thicken soup, stirring for approximately 2 minutes more.
- Serve immediately.