- 1 cup [250 mL] dried whole yellow peas
- 1 Spanish onion
- 2 cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bouquet parsley sprigs
- 4 ounces [113 g] Virginia ham or lean salt pork dices
- 2 carrots, into thin slices
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] freshly chopped parsley
- 4 tablespoons [60 g] butter
- Cold water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Into a bowl, cover dried whole yellow peas with cold water.
- Leave peas to soak for 12 hours.
- Then half Spanish onion and prick each half with a clove.
- Tie together thyme, basil, bay leaf and parsley sprigs into cottoncheese cloth as a bouquet garni.
- Drain then transfer peas into a large casserole.
- Pour in cold water, up to 3 inches [7.6 cm] over the peas.
- Salt and pepper.
- Add onion halves, bouquet garni, ham or salt pork dices, carrot slices and freshly chopped parsley.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and leave to simmer slowly for 90 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat.
- Stir in butter until melted, remove bay leaf, and serve.