- 4 tablespoons [60 g] butter
- 2 tablespoons [17.5 g] flour
- 10 ounces [284 g] fresh broccoli, asparagus or cauliflower
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups [1 L] chicken broth
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] heavy cream, hot yet not boiling
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt 2 tablespoons [30 g] of butter into a small casserole; mix in flour.
- Stir over low heat for 3 minutes; leave to cool.
- Rinse broccoli, asparagus or cauliflower; cut broccoli stems, asparagus or cauliflower into 1/2-inch [1.3 cm] pieces.
- Melt remaining [2 tablespoons / 30 g] butter into a large casserole; soften chopped onion into melted butter.
- Mix in broccoli, asparagus or cauliflower pieces; cover casserole and leave to cook for 3 minutes.
- Pour in chicken broth then bring to a boil.
- Pour a little of hot broth into cooled flour mixture, stirring until smooth.
- Stir into hot broth; cover casserole and leave vegetables to simmer to soften broccoli pieces, for approximately 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat; leave to cool slightly.
- Into a blender, puree mixture until smooth.
- If needed, pour puree back into casserole to reheat.
- Remove from heat, stir in hot cream, check for seasonings, and serve.