- 1 pound [454 g] carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 tablespoons [30 g] butter
- 1 tablespoon [15 L] oil
- 3 1/2 cups [875 mL] chicken or beef broth [made of cubes concentrate]
- Juice of 1/2 an orange
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] lemon juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 125 mL [1/2 cup] light cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Finely chopped chives, to serve
- Rinse and peel carrots; rinse celery stalks.
- Roughly chop carrots and celery.
- Heat together butter and oil into a casserole.
- Fry together chopped carrots and celery for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring.
- Pour in broth, orange juice and lemon juice.
- Add bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and leave to simmer slowly for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Using a slotted spoon, press vegetables through a sieve or puree into a blender or food processor.
- Pour puree back into soup in the saucepan.
- Stir in cream, season to taste with salt and pepper and reheat soup near to boiling, but do not boil.
- Serve soup, sprinkled with chives.