- 6 tablespoons [90 g] unsalted butter
- 1 cup [250 mL] onion dices
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] minced garlic
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] celery dices
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] carrot dices
- 8 tablespoons [70 g] flour
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] dry mustard
- 4 cups [1 L] chicken broth
- 2 cups [500 mL] heavy cream
- 1 1/2 pounds [680 g] grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt butter unsalted butter into a casserole until hot.
- Brown together onion dices, minced garlic, celery dices and carrot dices 7 to 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle vegetables with flour and dry mustard.
- Lower heat and stir for 10 minutes, until well blended.
- Pour in chicken broth, 1 cup [250 mL] at a time, whisking until well blended each additon.
- Pour in heavy cream; bring to a boil and leave soup to simmer for 45 minutes.
- Strain soup into a clean casserole.
- Add grated Cheddar cheese and Worcestershire sauce; whisk until well blended and melted.
- You may need to heat the soup to help melt the cheese; if so, use a really low heat or a double boiler so mixture does not burn.
- Season soup with salt and pepper, and serve.