- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon [35 mL] peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] curry powder
- 2 medium onions, sliced [about 4 cups / 1 L]
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] minced garlic
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks [about 2 pounds / 900 g]
- 2 cups [500 mL] turkey or chicken broth
- 1 [28-ounce / 796-mL] can whole tomatoes, drained and quartered
- 1 pound [454 g] ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] salt
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] chunky peanut butter
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] coconut milk
- Heat 2 tablespoons [30 mL] of peanut oil into a large heavy casserole over medium-high heat.
- Mix in curry powder and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add onion slices; cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Stir in sweet potato chunks, turkey or chicken broth and drained cut tomatoes;bring soup to a boil.
- Simmer, covered, for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Heat the remaining teaspoon [5 mL] of peanut oil into a large skillet.
- Cook ground turkey stirring using a wooden spoon to break-up any clumps, until cooked through.
- Season with 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] of the salt and all of black pepper.
- Drain ground turkey onto paper toweling before adding it to the soup.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] salt, cayenne pepper, chunky peanut butter, and coconut milk until well combined.
- Bring soup to just a boill leave to simmer slowly for 20 minutes before serving.