- 1 stick [4 ounces / 115 g] butter
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons [26.25 g] flour
- 2 quarts [2 L] hot turkey or chicken broth
- 2 cups [500 mL] peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] salt
- 1/3 teaspoon [1.5 mL] celery salt
- 1 cup [250 mL] ground peanuts
- Melt butter into a large heavy casserole.
- Stirring, soften together chopped celery and onion for 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour until blended.
- Still stirring, pour in hot turkey or chicken broth.
- Cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Strain, discarding the solids.
- Return the liquid to the casserole.
- Stir in peanut butter, lemon juice, salt, and celery salt.
- Cook just until heated through, stirring frequently.
- Ladle into individual soup bowls.
- Serve immediately, evenly sprinkled with ground peanuts.