- 1 meaty turkey carcass
- 8 cups [2 L] water
- 1 carrot, minced
- 4 stalks celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] crushed sage or thyme
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] salt
- 10 peppercorns
- If needed, brake-up turkey carcass to fit into a large heavy casserole.
- Pour in water then add minced carrot, celery stalks, chopped onion, parsley sprigs, bay leaf, sage or thyme, salt and peppercorns.
- Bring to a boil, cover and leave to simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove turkey carcass and, if desired, reserve turkey meat to add to the stock or for any other use.
- Strain turkey stock.
- Refrigerate cooled turkey stock until really cold.
- Remove hardened fat on top of stock.
- Refrigerate or freeze stock until ready to use.