- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 [28-ounce / 796-mL] can crushed tomatoes, with juice
- 6 cups [1.5 L] homemade turkey broth [made from the carcass of a turkey]
- 2 large yams, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup [250 mL] creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] salt
- Heat vegetable oil into a large casserole.
- Brown stogether chopped onions and crushed garlic over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, chicken broth, water and yam cubes.
- Cook over medium-low heat for 25 minutes, to soften yams.
- Stir in creamy peanut butter, cayenne pepper and salt.
- Leave soup to cool for 30 minutes.
- Puree soup into a blender or food processor, then pour it back into the saucepan.
- Reheat then serve soup warm, sprinkled with cooked turkey dices and crushed peanuts if desired.