- 1/2 pound [227 g] ground beef
- 6 cups [1.5 L] water or vegetable broth
- 1 cup [250 mL] split lentils
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] barley
- 1 [10-ounce / 284-mL] can beef broth concentrate
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 large celery stalk, diced
- 2 cups [500 mL] coked or canned tomatoes, chopped
- 1 smal bay leaf
- Pinch of thyme
- Pinch of basil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Freshly chopped parsley, to decorate
- Into a large heavy casserole, lightly brown ground beef stirring until well crumbled; drain fat.
- Pour in water or vegetable broth, then add split lentils, barley and beef broth concentrate.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer covered, until split lentils and barley are almost done, for approximately 30 minutes.
- Mix in finely chopped onion, minced garlic, carrot and celery dices, chopped tomatoes, bay leaf, thyme and basil.
- Simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove bay leaff.
- Salt and pepper.
- Serve into individual bowls, garnished with freshly chopped parsley.