- 1 cup [250 mL] finely chopped celery
- 1 cup [250 mL] finely chopped onion
- 1 cup [250 mL] finely chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup [60 g] butter
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] garbanzo beans
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] kidney beans
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] whole dried peas
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] white beans
- 3/4 cup [190 mL] carrot slices
- 3/4 cup [190 mL] celery slices
- 3/4 cup [190 mL] coarsely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup [190 mL] chopped bell pepper [red and/or green]
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] raw rice or barley
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] minced parsley
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] oregano
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] basil
- 2 teaspoon [10 mL] soy sauce
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 cup [250 mL] macaroni elbows
- Grated Parmesan cheese, to taste
- Slowly brown together finely minced celery, onion and carrot into melted butter, until dark brown.
- Add garbanzo beans, kidney beans, whole dried peas, white beans and 12 cups [3 L] water.
- Simmer slowly until all beans and peas are almost done [checking garbanzo beans as they take longer to cook], for approximately 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- Mix in carrot and celery slices, coarsely chopped onion and chopped bell pepper, rice or barley, minced parsley, oregano, basil, soy sauce and pepper.
- If needed, pour in more water; simmer for 1 more hour.
- Approximately 20 minutes before serving, add macaroni elbows and, if needed, more water.
- Ladle soup into individual soup bowls and serve, sprinkled with grated Parmesan cheese.