- 3 tablespoons [45 g] butter
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons [26.25 g] flour
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] salt
- 1/8 teaspoon [0.5 mL] white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] dried minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups [375 mL] boiling water
- 2 cubes chicken broth concentrate
- 2 cups [500 mL] milk
- 2 cups [500 mL] grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup [250 mL] finely chopped boiled broccoli
- Into a medium-size casserole, melt chopped onion into melted butter until tender.
- Blend in flour, salt, white pepper, thyme and dried minced garlic; cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring.
- Pour in boiling water then add chicken broth concentrate cubes.
- Stirring, cook slowly until thick, then stir in milk until smooth.
- Mix in grated Cheddar cheese and chopped broccoli.
- Reheat before serving, really hot.