- 4 slices bacon
- 1/8 cup [30 mL] cooking oil
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] chopped onion
- 3 cups [750 mL] peeled potato dices
- 3 cups [750 mL] chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup [250 mL] finely chopped carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] salt
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] pepper
- 3 cups [750 mL] creamed corn
- 1 cup [250 mL] finely chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons [17.5 g] flour
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] cornstarch
- 3 cups [750 mL] milk
- Chopped parsley, to taste
- Fry bacon slices into a Dutch oven until crisp; remove and crumble bacon slices, reserving drippings into Dutch oven.
- Pour cooking oil into bacon drippings; melt chopped onion into hot fat.
- Mix in potato dices, 2 cups [500 mL] of the chicken broth and finely chopped carrots; salt, pepper, then bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, then mix in creamed corn and finely chopped celery.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, until tender.
- Into a bowl, combine remaining 1 cup [250 mL] chicken broth, flour and cornstarch; stir into mixture, until thickened.
- Stir in milk; check for seasonings.
- Heat but do not boil.
- Pour chowder into individual soup bowls.
- Serve garnished with reserved crisp bacon crumbs, sprinkled with chopped parsley.