- 3 cups [750 mL] water
- 4 medium-size peeled potatoes, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 cup [250 mL] peeled carrot slices
- 1 medium-size onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] salt
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] pepper
- 1/2 cup [115 g] butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup [70 g] flour
- 4 cups [1 L] milk
- 1 pound [454 g] Old Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups [500 mL] small cooked ham dices
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- Bring water to a boil.
- Add potato and celery dices, carrot slices and onion dices; salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, until vegetables pieces are tender; set aside.
- Melt butter or margarine into a large casserole; stir in flour.
- Stirring, slowly pour in milk.
- Still stirring, bring mixture to a boil.
- Boil for 1 minute.
- Stir in grated Old Cheddar cheese, until completely melted.
- Pour cheese mixture into reserved vegetables mixture.
- Then stir in small cooked ham dices.
- Reheat without boiling.
- Stir in some Tabasco sauce, and serve.