- 1 pound [454 g] beef shanks
- 1 pound [454 g] veal shanks
- 1 pound [454 g] bones with marrow
- 6 large carrots, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 or 2 garlic clove[s]
- Bouquet garni*
- 1/4 pound [113 g] fresh lean pork
- 1 [2-pound / 1-kg] piece lean beef
- 16 to 20 cups [4 to 5 L] cold water
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] freshly chopped parsley
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon [1 to 2.5 mL] thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 to 12 peppercorns
- Have your butcher to grossly chop or break-up veal shanks, beef shanks and bones with marrow into chunks.
- Lightly brown together all chunks into the oven, into a roasting pan coated with packaging cut meat juices.
- Transfer browned chunks into a large casserole.
- Brown chopped carrots into some melted butter; add and brown chopped onions.
- Into cottoncheese cloth, secure together all 'bouquet garni' ingredients [freshly chopped parsley, thyme, bay leaf and peppercorns].
- Add browned chopped carrots and onions, celery slices, garlic clove[s] and 'bouquet garni' to casserole.
- Cut lean pork and beef meat into 1 to 2 inches [2.5 to 5 cm] pieces.
- Brown meat pieces before adding to casserole.
- Pour in cold water; bring to a boil, over low heat, foaming broth from time to time.
- Leave to simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Salt; simmer for 1 more hour, until meat pieces are tendre.
- Check for seasonings; strain broth through a fine strainer [reserve meats, that can be served as you would any boiled beef, or be prepared into any other way].
- Leave strained broth to cool down completely; refrigerate until cold, then remove fat.
- Either refrigerate or freeze lean broth.