This soup is perfect to start a meal, before serving a kidney bean rice, coconut milk fish curry, meal that will end by serving a frozen lime pie.|
For a change, serve a creamy cauliflower soup instead of this creamy butternut squash soup, using cauliflower flowerets instead of butternut squash; it is then necessary to omit lemon juice and tomato paste.
This creamy soup can also be prepared using 4 cups [1 L] peeled carrot pieces instead of butternut squash; then add 1/4 cup [160 mL] freshly squeezed orange juice to chicken broth, along with lemon juice and tomato paste.
- 2 tablespoons [30 g] butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] freshly finely chopped ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons [7.5 mL] curry powder, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] salt
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] pepper
- 5 cups [1.25 L] butternut squash cubes, peeled and seeded
- 1 large peeled potato, diced
- 4 cups [1 L] chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] tomato paste
- 1/3 cup [80 mL] milk or [10%] cream
- Into a large casserole, melt butter over medium heat.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix in chopped onion, garlic and ginger, curry powder, salt and pepper; cook for 3 minutes, stirring still using the wooden spoon for 3 minutes, until onion has softened.
- Add butternut squash cubes and potato dices; mix until well coated.
- Stir in chicken broth, lemon juice and tomato paste; bring to a boil.
- Lower temperature, cover and simmer soup for approximately 20 minutes, until all vegetables pieces are really soft.
- Into a blender or a food processor, puree mixture for as long as needed to get a really smooth mixture.
- Creamy soup can be prepared up to this point and refrigerated, covered, for up to 2 days.
- Pour butternut squash puree into a clean casserole.
- Just before serving, using a wooden spoon, stir in milk or cream.
- Reheat soup over medium heat, without boiling.