- 4 tablespoons [60 g] butter
- 2 large Spanish onions, sliced
- 6 to 8 tablespoons [90 to 120 mL] Cognac
- 4 tablespoons [35 g] flour
- 8 to 9 cups [2 to 2.25 L] beef broth, or water and beef broth cubes concentrate
- Few drops Tabasco sauce
- 2 to 3 bay leaves
- Crusted bread slices
- 1 pound [454 g] Gruyere or Mozzarella cheese, grated
- Brown onions slices into melted butter for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in Cognac; sprinkle all over with flour, stirring for 3 minutes.
- Stir in beef broth or already melted in water beef broth cubes, Tabasco sauce and bay leaves.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Pour into individual heat-proof serving dishes.
- Top each serving with a slice of bread; sprinkle each generously with grated cheese.
- Brown under preheated broiler.
- Serve immediately.