- 3 tablespoons [45 g] butter
- 1 pound [454 g] peeled carrots, coarsely grated
- 8 ounces [227 g] peeled potatoes, diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups [1 L] chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon [1 to 2.5 mL] white pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] cream
- Melt butter over medium heat into a medium-size saucepan.
- Lower heat and mix in grated carrots, potato dices and finely chopped onion.
- Cook, stirring from time to time using a wooden spoon, until vegetables no long stick to the bottom of the saucepan.
- Pour in chicken broth; salt and pepper soup.
- Bring to just a boil then leave to simmer for approximately 20 minutes, to really soften all vegetables.
- Through a fine sieve, press mixture into a large bowl, or puree mixture into a blender.
- Pour soup back into saucepan.
- Reheat soup until hot.
- If soup is too clear, leave soup to simmer uncovered until thickened to taste.
- Stir in cream, check for seasonings and serve, into warm soup bowls.