Serve this soup really cold, from the refrigerator.|
Serve this soup, along with garnishings [peeled and seeded tiny tomato dices, tiny onion dices, tiny sweet green pepper dices, tiny cucumber dices and small fried bread dices], each presented into a separate bowl, for everyone to help themselves to taste.
- 1 pound [454 g] fresh tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 sweet green pepper, membranes removed and seeded
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 cucumber
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons [45 mL] catsup
- 3 tablespoons [45 mL] oil
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Set aside 1 tomato, 1/4th of onion, 1/8th of green pepper, 1/2 a slice of bread and approximately 2 inches [5 cm] of the cucumber, to serve as garnishings.
- Soak tomatoes into hot water for 2 minutes, to help peeling tomatoes.
- Peel and seed cucumber.
- Seed sweet green pepper; remove white parts.
- Peel onion and garlic cloves.
- Remove crusts from remaining slices of bread.
- Into a blender, puree remaining peeled tomatoes, onion, sweet green pepper, bread slices, cucumber and garlic.
- Mix catsup, oil and vinegar into the quite thick puree; salt and pepper.
- If mixture is too thick, stir in a little water, no more than 3/4 cup [190 mL].
- Refrigerate until ready to serve, really cold.