- 1 leek
- 1 medium onion
- 2 potatoes
- 1 tablespoon [15 g] butter
- 2 1/2 cups [625 mL] water
- 3/4 cup [190 mL] cream [35% or 15% m.s.g.]
- 2 tablespoon [30 mL] freshly chopped chives
- Salt and white pepper, to taste
- Remove outer leaves and thoroughly rinse leek, under cold running water.
- Very finely chop white part of leek; reserve green part for another use.
- Only white part of leek should be used in the making of vychissoise.
- Finely chop onion.
- Peel, rinse then cut potatoes into small dices; reserve.
- Into a casserole, melt chopped leek white and onion into melted butter, being careful not to brown vegetables.
- Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add reserved potato dices, and water; salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, cover casserole and simmer for approximately 25 minutes.
- Puree mixture into a blender, until really smooth, of a smooth creamy consistency.
- Taste to check for seasonings.
- Leave to cool completely.
- Stir in cream.
- Refrigerate until really cold, until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, pour vychissoise into a large soup bowl or into individual bowls.
- Sprinkle with freshly chopped chives and serve.