- 2 unpeeled new potatoes [Yukon Gold or white]
- 24 medium clams in shells, scrubbed
- 2 cups [500 mL] clam broth [sold in jars]
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] lean salt pork or bacon dices
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] vegetable oil
- 1 medium-size onion, chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 tablespoons [45 mL] chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] celery seeds
- 3 tablespoons [26.25 g] flour
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Boil potatoes, covered with unsalted water, until easily pierced with a fork.
- Drain potatoes, reserving 2 cups [500 mL] potato cooking water.
- When potatoes have cooled enough to be handled, peel and then cut potatoes into 1/2-inch [1.3-cm] cubes; reserve.
- Into a large enough casserole, bring 2 cups [500 mL] water to a boil.
- Add scrubbed clam shells; lower heat and simmer, covered, removing clam shells from casserole as soon as they open-up.
- After 10 minutes, throw away unopened clam shells; reserve cooking liquids.
- Remove clams from shells.
- Clean clams into cooking liquid, to remove any remaining sand.
- Grossly chop clams; set aside.
- Strain cooking liquids through a fine sieve; pour in enough clam broth to get 4 cups [1 L].
- Fry salt pork or bacon dices into hot vegetable oil, over medium-low heat, until fat has melted and meat is done, yet not crunchy, for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Mix in chopped onion, minced shallot and chopped parsley; cook until onion is just golden, for 10 minutes.
- Mix in reserved potato cubes, reserved clam cooking liquids and broth, thyme and celery seeds.
- Just bring to a boil.
- Reheat reserved potato cooking water until hot, yet not boiling.
- Whip in flour, until completely dissolved; stir into chowder.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, then stir in reserved chopped clams.
- Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes more, until hot.
- Season to taste with pepper and, if needed, with salt.