- 1/3 cup [80 mL] celery dices
- 1/3 cup [80 mL] carrot dices
- 1/3 cup [80 mL] onion dices
- 2 tablespoons [30 g] butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons [17.5 g] flour
- 4 cups [1 L] milk
- 2 cubes chicken broth concentrate
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] minced parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] salt
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] Cayenne pepper
- 6 medium-size potatoes, peeled and boiled
- Minced chives [optional]
- Grated Cheddar cheese [optional]
- Bacon bits [optional]
- Into a 12-cup [3-L] casserole, fry together celery, carrot and onion dices into melted butter or margarine, until soft.
- Well blend in flour.
- Slowly pour in milk; cook stirring, until mixture has thickenend and starts to bubble.
- Add chicken broth cubes, minced parsley, salt, seasoned salt and Cayenne pepper.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cut half of boiled potatoes into cubes, crush remaining potatoes and add to broth.
- Simmer soup for 20 to 25 minutes, until really hot.
- Serve soup into individual bowls, sprinkled with minced chives, grated cheese and/or bacon bits, to taste.