- 8 onions, peeled and sliced
- A little butter
- 3 tablespoons [26.25 g] flour
- 1 cup [250 mL] water
- 1 tablespoonful [15 mL] grated Gruyere cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 cups [1.5 L] boiling water
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] meat extract or liquid beef broth concentrate
- Approximately 1 cup [250 mL] cream
- 8 slices of bread
- Grated Gruyere cheese
- Lightly brown onion slices into a little melted butter, until golden brown.
- Away from heat, sprinkle onion slices with flour.
- Stir in water; heat until thickened, stirring.
- Mix in 1 tablespoon [15 mL] grated Gruyere cheese, salt, pepper and boiling water.
- Simmer, covered, over low heat, for 2 hours.
- A little before serving, brown slices of bread under preheated broiler.
- Mix together egg yolks and meat extract or liquid beef broth concentrate.
- Just before serving, pour egg yolks mixture into soup.
- Pour cream into soup bowl, before pouring into soup.
- Serve soup, along with oven-broiled slices of bread.
- Fry slices of bread into melted butter.
- Top slices with grated Gruyère cheese.
- Broil under preheated oven broiler.