- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] olive oil
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] browned sesame seed oil
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] freshly chopped ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 cup [250 mL] minced shiitake or other mushrooms
- 1 cup [250 mL] halved sugar peas
- 1 cup [250 mL] minced carrots
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] sweet red pepper strips, membranes removed and seeded
- 4 cups [1 L] chicken broth
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] rice or cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] crushed chiles [optional]
- 3 tablespoons [45 mL] freshly chopped coriander
- 1/2 pound [227 g] firm bean curd, into strips or diced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Into a large casserole, heat together olive oiland browned sesame seed oil over medium heat.
- Brown together freshly chopped ginger, chopped garlic and minced onion.
- Add minced mushrooms, halved sugar peas, minced carrots and sweet red pepper strips.
- Stir-fry vegetables over low heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour in chicken broth then bring mixture to a boil.
- Mix together beaten egg, soy sauce, tomato paste, rice or cider vinegar, maple syrup, crushed chiles if desired, and freshly chopped coriander.
- Add to hot chicken broth mixture, stirring.
- Add bean curd strips or dices.
- Salt and pepper to taste, before serving.