- 6 quarts [6 L] water
- 4 tablespoons [60 mL] liquid beef broth concentrate
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 large meaty ham bone or small boneless ham
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium peeled carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 large ribs celery, sliced
- 2 large peeled potatoes, into chunks
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds [1.13 to 1.4 kg] shredded green cabbage
- 1/4 teaspoons [1 mL] thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pour water into a large casserole; mix in beef broth concentrate.
- Add bay leaf and meaty ham bone or boneless ham; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and leave to simmer slowly until meat is tender to the fork, for approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Remove ham bone or meat from water.
- Leave meat to cool.
- Meanwhile, add chopped onion, carrot and celery slices, potato chunks and shredded cabbage to stock.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and leave to simmer slowly until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, cut cooled ham meat into bite-size pieces.
- Return meat to pot, add thyme; salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer until meat is heated through, check for seasonings, and serve.