- 1 whole chicken, skin removed
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 parsnip, diced
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- Handful freshly chopped parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
1 sprig fresh sage
if fresh is not available,
1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] poultry seasoning
- 6 peppercorns
- 12 cup [3 L] water
- Salt, to taste
- 6 ears fresh sweet corn
- Salted boiling water
- Approximately 1 cup [250 mL] extra carrot dices
- Approximately 1 cup [250 mL] potato dices
- 6 tablespoons [90 mL] cornstarch
- 2 cups [500 mL] cold milk
- Some frozen peas, for color [optional]
- Freshly chopped parsley, to garnish
- Green onion slices [green part only], to garnish
- Transfer skinned chicken, carrot, celery and parsnip dices, onion pieces, garlic halves, freshly chopped parsley, bay leaf, fresh thyme and sage or poultry seasoning, peppercorns and water into a large casserole.
- Bring to a boil.
- Skim off any foam that rises to the top until no more foam rises.
- Lower heat to a very slow simmer, cover and leave to cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from heat and leave to cool.
- Remove chicken from casserole and take the meat from the bones.
- Dice the meat and set aside.
- Remove leaves and hairs from ears of corn.
- Boil into salted boiling water for only 3 to 5 minutes; remove using tongs.
- Leave to cool completely the cut the corn kernels from the cobs and scrape the cobs with a dull knife to extract and save all the 'milk'.
- Puree together 1 cup [250 mL] of the corn with 1 cup [250 mL] of cooled strained chicken broth into a blender until thick and smooth.
- Transfer this puree into a clean casserole; add all of remaining corn and 3 more cups [750 mL] of the strained chicken broth.
- Add extra carrot dices and, if disired potato dices; simmer for 15 minutes [carrots give the soup a nice color and add some texture].
- Dilute cornstarch into cold milk before stirring mixture into soup.
- Bring to just under the boiling point and cook until thick, but do not boil after you add the milk.
- If desired, mix in some frozen peas for color.
- Mix in as many of reserved chicken dices as desired.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Serve hot, garnished with freshly chopped parsley and green onion slices.