- 3 tablespoons [45 g] butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/4 pound [113 g] fresh mushrooms, cleaned then sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] rosemary
- 6 cups [1.5 L] homemade vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] hulled barley, soaked in water overnight
- 1 pound [454g] broccoli
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] cornstarch
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] water
- 2 cups [500 mL] milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup [75 g] grated Parmesan cheese
- Melt butter into a large casserole; brown together minced garlic, chopped onions and mushroom slices into melted butter.
- Sprinkle mixture with rosemary then pour vegetable broth into casserole; drain then add barley.
- Bring to a boil then lower heat.
- Cover casserole and leaves soup to simmer slowly for approximately 25 minutes, until barley is soft.
- Meanwhile, break broccoli into small bite-size flowerets; peel then thinly slice broccoli stems.
- When barley is done, higher heat then add broccoli pieces.
- Cover casserole and simmer soup for 10 minutes more.
- Into a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch into water.
- Stirring, add dissolved cornstarch and milk into soup.
- Leave soup to simmer stirring, until thickened.
- Salt and pepper soup.
- Serve into individual bowls, each serving sprinkled with a little grated Parmesan cheese.