- 7 large beetroots [about 3 1/3 pounds / 1 1/2 kilos]
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] red wine
- 10 small red potatoes
- 1 3/4 ounces [50 g] unsalted butter
- 2 large Spanish onions
- 8 cups [2 L] well-seasoned chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] sour cream
- 1/2 bunch chives
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Peel and grate1 of beetroots, mix together with the red wine into a small bowl and set aside.
- Transfer all remaining trimmed yet unpeeled beetroots into a large saucepan; cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil, then leave to simmer over medium heat for approximately 40 minutes, until tender.
- Into a separate saucepan, cover the potatoes with water, add 1 teaspoon [5 mL] of the salt and cook just until tender; drain and cool.
- When soft, drain, rinse under cold water then peel beetroots.
- Roughly chop all but 1 of the beetroots;set aside.
- Grate remaining beetroot; set aside separately.
- Roughly chop then sweat Spanish onions into melted butter until soft and lightly golden.
- Well mix in roughly chopped beetroots.
- Pour in chicken stock, then add 1 teaspoon [5 mL] salt, raw grated beetroot and red wine mixture; bring to a boil.
- Add 6 of cooled red potatoes, chopped and simmer briefly to allow the flavours to blend.
- Puree mixture, into a food processor if possible.
- Add cooked grated beetroot to puree; salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, roughly chop hard-boiled eggs, dice remaining potatoes and snip chives.
- Top each bowl of soup with a dollop of sour cream in the centre, then pile potato dices, chopped hard-boiled eggs and snipped chives on top.