- 4 cups [1 L] buttermilk
- 1 cup [250 ml] sour cream
- 1 cup [250 mL] chilled boiled water
- 2 boiled beets, coarsely grated
- 2 medium cucumbers, into small cubes
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] finely chopped green parts scallions or chives
- Salt, to taste
- 1 to 2 teaspoons [5 to 10 mL] freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 10 sprigs fresh dill, finely chopped
- Mix buttermilk with sour cream and chilled water.
- Add grated beets, cucumber cubes and finely cut egg whites; stir gently.
- Mash together egg yolks, 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] salt and chopped scallions or chives.
- Stir yolk mixture into soup.
- As the soup should have a slightly acid taste, use 1 to 2 teaspoons [5 to 10 mL] fresh lemon juice to adjust acidity.
- Serve soup into individual bowls, sprinkled with finely chopped fresh dill.