- 1/3 pound [150 g] Great Northern white beans
- 1 or 2 small ham hocks
- 1/2 pound [227 g] Hungarian smoked sausage, into 2-inch [5-cm] long pieces
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] salt
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] pepper
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 potato, diced
- 3 tablespoons [45 g] shortening
- 3 tablespoons [26.25 g] flour
- 11 cups [2.75 L] water, divided
- Rinse and sort beans; transfer into a large casserole with 10 cups [2.5 L] of the water.
- Leave to saok for approximately 1 hour.
- Then add ham hocks, Hungarian smoked sausage pieces, salt and pepper.
- Simmer slowly for approximately 1 1/2 hours, until beans are almost done.
- Add carrot and potato dices.
- Cook until done.
- Meanwhile, melt shortening into a small casserole.
- Mix in flour stirring unitl well browned.
- Slowly stir in remaining cup [250 mL] of water.
- Bring soup to a boil before mixing in roux.
- Leave to boil for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.