- 1 pound [454 g] dried black turtle beans [2 1/2 cups / 625 mL]
- 6 cups [1.5 L] cold water
- 1 ham bone with meat
- 1 cup [250 mL] chopped onion
- 1 cup [250 mL] chopped celery
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] finely chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] dry mustard
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cloves
- Dash dried thyme, crushed
- 7 cups [1.75 L] water
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] dry Sherry
- Salt and pepper
- Water, if needed
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- Thin lemon slices
- Rinse then leave black beans to soak in 6 cups [1.5 L] cold water overnight, or bring together beans and water to a boil.
- Leave to simmer for 2 minutes, then let stand for at least 1 hour.
- Drain beans discarding liquid; transfer into a large casserole.
- Add ham bone with meat, chopped onion, celery, carrot and parsley, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, bay leaves, cloves, crushed dried thyme and 7 cups [1.75 L] water.
- Bring to a boil then lower heat.
- Cover and leave to simmer for approximately 2 to 2 1/2 hours, until beans are very tender.
- Remove ham and bone; cut any meat into tiny dices.
- Through a sieve, press soup into a clean casserole.
- Mix in ham dices and dry Sherry; salt and pepper soup.
- Soup should be of the consistency of heavy cream; if not, stir in a little water.
- Reheat soup until really hot.
- Serve soup immediately, garnished with hard-boiled egg slices and thin lemon slices.