- 2 tablespoons [30 g] butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup [35 g] all-purpose flour
- 3 cups [750 mL] chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups [500 mL] peeled 1/2-inch [1.3-cm] potato dices
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups [750 mL] finely chopped broccoli florets and peeled stem pieces
- 1 1/2 cups [375 mL] milk
- 1 1/2 cups [340 g] grated Cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Into a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add and cook chopped onion, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Stir in flour; pour in broth.
- Add potato dices and bay leaf; bring to a boil, stirring often, until thickened.
- Lower heat; simmer covered, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Add broccoli florets and stem pieces; cook for 8 to 10 minutes more, until vegetable pieces are tender.
- Stir in milk and grated Cheddar cheese, until piping hot.
- Do not let mixture boil or it may curdle.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Salt, pepper and serve.