- 2 tablespoons [30 g] unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] minced garlic
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1/3 cup [45 g] flour
- 5 cups [1.25 L] unsalted chicken or beef broth
- 3/4 cup [190 mL] dry white wine
- 1/3 cup [80 mL] sour cream
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup [250 mL] croutons, to garnish
- Freshly chopped coriander, parsley or chives, to garnish
- Melt unsalted butter into a thick-bottom saucepan.
- Saute together minced garlic and onion slices, over medium heat, for 5 minutes.
- Remove mushy golden mixture from heat; stir in flour, and then return to heat.
- Stirring delicately, cook for 3 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, mix together chicken or beef broth and dry white wine.
- Slowly pour into garlic/onion mixture, stirring constantly to prevent lumps.
- Bring to a boil; simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Strain soup through a fine sieve, into a clean saucepan; stir in sour cream.
- Salt and pepper; reheat soup to a gentle boil.
- Serve into heated bowls topped with croutons, sprinkled to taste with freshly chopped herbs.