- 4 ounces [113 g] lean bacon
- 1 large onion, peeled
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 large carrot, peeled
- 1/4 cup [60 g] butter
- 1/4 cup [35 g] all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] curry powder, or to taste
- 3 cups [750 mL] water
- 2 apples
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] lemon juice
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] drained boiled rice
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] cooked chicken dices
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cream [optional]
- Finely chop bacon, onion and celery stalk.
- Finely dice carrot.
- Melt butter into a large saucepan.
- Fry together chopped bacon, onion and celery and carrot dices for 7 to 8 minutes, until bacon is just getting crispy and vegetables turn golden.
- Stir in flour and curry powder; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Pour in water; bring to a boil, stirring until slightly thickened.
- Lower heat, cover and simmer very slowly for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Skim off excess fat.
- Peel and dice apples.
- Add apple dices to soup, along with lemon juice, drained rice and cooked chicken dices; salt and pepper.
- Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes more.
- If desired, stir in just a little cream.
- Serve immediately.