- 8 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] vegetable oil
- 4 [1/2-inch / 2.5-cm] thick ginger root slices
- 1 cup [250 mL] bamboo shoot slices
- 4 cups [1 L] chicken broth
- 2 cups [500 mL] thinly sliced pork strips
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] soy sauce
- 2 tofu cakes, diced
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] cornstarch
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] cold water
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] white pepper
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] rice wine vinegar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] chopped green onions
- Soak shiitake mushrooms into hot water for 30 minutes.
- Drain; remove and discard stems, then cut mushroom caps into thin strips.
- Heat oil into a heavy casserole; add mushroom strips and ginger root slices.
- Stir over medium heat, for 1 minute.
- Add bamboo shoot slices; stir for 1 more minute.
- Pour in chicken broth; mix in pork strips and soy sauce.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add tofu dices and simmer for 3 minutes more.
- Dissolve cornstarch into cold water.
- Mix cornstarch mixture, along with white pepper and rice wine vinegar, into soup.
- Pour in beaten eggs; allow to set for about 1 minute, then stir.
- Serve and garnished with chopped green onions.