Colorful, festive-like fragrant Mexican-inspired soup.|
Cilantro, also called coriander or Chinese parsley, is related to carrots, even though it looks like parsley.
It almost has a licorice flavor.
Cilantro being very fragile, wrap it into paper toweling before refrigerating, into a plastic bag.
- 8 thin tortillas
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] chili powder
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups [1.5 L] homemade or canned low-salt chicken broth
- 1 [8-ounce / 250-mL] can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons [7.5 mL] salt
- 1 teaspoon [5 g] sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] pepper
- 2 large chicken breast halves [approximately 1 1/2 pounds / 680 g]
- 1 1/2 cups [375 mL] fresh or frozen thawed corn kernels
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Sour cream, to taste
- Radish slices, to taste
- Freshly minced cilantro, to taste
- Finely chopped red onion, to taste
- Half tortillas thickwise; cut tortilla halves crosswise into thin strips.
- Pour 3/4 inch [2 cm] vegetable oil into a heavy medium-size skillet; heat oil to 350°F [180°C].
- Fry a few tortilla strips at a time into hot oil until crisp and golden, for approximately 1 minute.
- Drain tortilla strips onto paper toweling; reserve.
- Pour 1 tablespoon [15 mL] tortilla-frying oil into a heavy large casserole.
- Over medium heat, fry chopped onion into hot oil until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano and bay leaf.
- Fry, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Pour in chicken broth and tomato sauce; sprinkle with salt, sugar and pepper.
- Bring to a boil then add chicken breast halves.
- Cover and leave to simmer until chicken is just cooked through, for approximately 15 minutes.
- Using tongs, transfer chicken breast halves onto a plate; leave to cool slightly.
- Skin and bone chicken breast halves; finely shred chicken meat and reserve.
- Add 1 1/4 cups [310 mL] of the corn kernels to the soup.
- Leave to simmer until corn is tender, for about 5 minutes.
- Mix in reserved shredded chicken; leave to simmer for 1 minute.
- Can be prepared the day before up to this point, covered and kept refrigerated; bring to just a boil before serving.
- Ladle hot soup into individual bowls.
- Serve soup, garnished with reserved fried drained tortilla strips, sour cream, radish slices, freshly minced cilantro, finely chopped red onion and remaining corn kernels.