- 1/4 cup [60 g] butter or margarine
- 2 pounds [1 kg] carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 8 cups [2 L] chicken broth
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] freshly chopped dill
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] table cream [optional]
- 1 /4 teaspoon [1 mL] white pepper
- 1 /4 teaspoon [1 mL] Cayenne pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh dill sprigs
- Into a large saucepan, saute carrots, onion and celery into melted butter or margarine for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Pour in chicken broth, add chopped dill and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and leave to simmer for 35 to 40 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Puree soup, a little at a time, into a blender or a food processor.
- Return to saucepan; reheat to serving temperature.
- Stir in cream, white and Cayenne pepper; salt.
- Serve, garnished with fresh dill sprigs.