- 28 ounces [794 g] lean semi-salt pork
- 8 cups [2 L] water
- 3 carrots
- 1 onion
- 1 clove
- 1 kale heart
- 2 potatoes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Day-old country-bread
- Transfer salt pork into a casserole; pour in water.
- Bring to a boil; leave to simmer for 1 hour 30 minutes and reserve, in cooking water.
- Peel and slice carrots lengthwise; set aside.
- Peel onion; prick onion with clove and set aside.
- Mince then blanch kale heart for 10 minutes; drain and reserve.
- When salt pork has boiled for 1 hour 30 minutes, add reserved carrot slices and pricked onion.
- Fifteen  minutes later, add reserved blanched drained kale heart.
- Peel and dice potatoes; add to mixture and cook 30 minutes more.
- Salt and pepper, to taste.
- Drain and slice salt pork; set aside.
- Really thinly slice 6 slices of bread; arrange into small individual bowls.
- Pour broth, with vegetables, over bread slices.
- Top with reserved salt pork slices.