- 4 or 5 large onions
- 4 tablespoons [60 g] butter
- 2 tablespoons [17.5 g] flour
- 6 cups [1.5 L] chicken broth [excellent], beef consomme, or water
- 2 cups [500 mL] just boiling milk
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] coarse salt
- Pepper, to taste
- Grated Gruyere cheese, to sprinkle
- Garlic croutons, to garnish
- Cut onions into thin slices.
- Melt butter.
- Stir in onion slices, using a wooden spoon, until slightly golden.
- Mix in flour; cook over low heat, stirring often.
- Pour in chicken broth, consomme or water; salt.
- Bring to a boil; stir in milk and pepper.
- Check for seasonings.
- Serve into individual bowls, sprinkled with grated Gruyere cheese and topped with a few garlic croutons.